Prospect Hill Academy Charter School is a K-12, college preparatory public charter school founded in 1996 by a diverse group of community members who believed that all children should have access to a high quality education. In this spirit, the founders committed to the following mission:
Prospect Hill Academy will prepare each student for success in college,inspire a lifelong love of learning, and foster responsible citizenship.
Twenty years later, this mission continues to guide PHA’s faculty, staff, and Board of Trustees in the school’s efforts to be a culturally proficient community of learners where all members are engaged, feel inspired, and succeed. Each day, PHA educators implement developmentally-appropriate and research-based teaching and learning practices aimed to ensure that all students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and habits of mind necessary to succeed in college and at whichever career paths they choose to pursue.
K-12: 13 Years of Educational Excellence
As a K-12 school, we have the unique opportunity to plan backwards from graduation standards and reinforce skills as students transition between grade levels and across campuses.
- High Expectations for All: We hold students to high standards of academic, social, and moral excellence and support all to achieve those standards.
- Contagious Culture of Success: Our students are proud of their achievements, support each other, and hold each other accountable for their performance and behavior.
- Public Exhibitions of Student Work: Students build confidence and skills by regularly presenting their multi-disciplinary work to the public.
- Responsible Citizenship: While encouraging students to be actively engaged in the community, we embrace the diversity of our student population, and promote collaboration among all constituents.
- Continuous Collaboration: Teams of teachers work collaboratively to adapt instruction and curriculum in response to student achievement data.
Our Engaged, Diverse Student Population
We serve nearly 1,150 students from a diverse range of racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds:
- Low-income (based on reported free and reduced lunch records): 66%
- Race: 56% Black, 16% Hispanic, 12% White, 8% Asian, 8% mixed race/other races
- Language: 40% of students come from homes where English is not the primary language spoken
A Talented, Dedicated Faculty
We are proud to have a devoted, talented, and inspiring faculty. Our teachers are committed to serving the needs of our students and supporting each other’s professional success.
Prospect Hill Academy is a tuition-free K-12 college preparatory charter school. Admission is lottery-based and open to all Massachusetts residents with preference given to Somerville and Cambridge residents.